The MP for the West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly constituency of St Ives, Andrew George has today welcomed the steps that Liberal Democrats in Government have taken to give hard working families a fairer deal and called on his colleagues to go even further.
Mr George noted that Liberal Democrats in Government have already made crucial progress towards a fairer and more liberal Britain by:
• Making sure that more than 800,000 people on low wages no longer pay income tax on their earnings with that figure set to reach 1.1 million by May 2012.
• Giving 23 million working people a £200 tax cut.
• Ensuring that in April 2012 every worker will be given a further income tax cut of £130.
• Targeted an extra £7 billion that can be raised by clamping down on tax avoidance.
• Taxing banks an extra £2.5 billion every year.
• Putting up Capital Gains Tax so that it will raise £925 million a year by 2015.
Mr George also welcomed a speech made by Liberal Democrat Leader and Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg MP last which in which he made clear that ahead of the 2012 Budget (scheduled for Wednesday 21st March) Liberal Democrats in Government would be arguing for greater and faster tax cuts to help hard working families who are currently feeling the economic squeeze.
Commenting Mr George said:
“Everyone knows that times are tough. Budgets are being constrained and money is tight from a national to a household level. However, I am proud that in Government Liberal Democrats are working hard to ease the strain on millions of hard working families whilst making sure that those with the deepest pockets pay their fair share.”
Get the latest news from Andrew George straight to your inbox
* indicates required
Please tick to receive most relevant newsletter/s